This is especially true of younger rats that may have not had the time or experience to build an all weather nest.
It does not take much of a hole for a rat to find its way in. Even a small gap can be enlarged to make a classic rat hole. See the picture below. This hole sits above a beam and was not visible from below.
How do you know if you have rats in the attic:
- The sound of gnawing at night coming from above or in a wall.
- Strange occurrences - door bell rings in the middle of the night, lights flicker, alarm system go of for no reason, phone line is dead - these can all be signs of chewed wires.
- Smudges or dirty marks going up a wall. See below for an extreme example.
What to do?
- Do not use poison! Nothing is worse than a dead rat in your attic.
- Call an expert! The expert in Tucson is Mr. Pack Rat.
- All entry points needs to be located, the resident rats need to be trapped and removed and all holes sealed before another rat moves in.